Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fresh Laundry and Finding Corners

There is something wonderful about fresh laundry. There is a special rhythm to laundry that makes me feel connected to the past. When its warm and I take out my basket of warm, wet laundry and pin it to the line that bisects green grasses and white fences- as I feel the warm sun beating down on my neck and arms- as a gentle breeze stirs the sheets bleaching in the light and my daughter peeks her head out from under her imaginary tent, I feel connected. There is no place else but my back yard. I can imagine I am anywhere in time and know there was a woman doing the exact thing I am doing. Its this strange ritual that I love
It is really strange that I can wax poetic about laundry.




My son has a moderate case of eczema. We try so hard to get rid of it (short of using steroid creams) and nothing seems to work. We put him in cloth diapers and I was washing them in bleach and his little tush got so chapped that we decided to use a different detergent. We bought Lehmans Soap Nuts after reading reviews for them. They are the dried fruit from a soapnut tree. They are fragrance free, hypoallergenic and cost almost nothing. They sounded too good to be true. Today was their first test. I was unfair in starting their test with Grant's very stinky diapers. The results were amazing! Even bleach couldn't get the musty wet bag smell out of those diapers. Now, Lehmans definitely isn't paying me, but I just had to rave about these. I wish they were paying me. In soapnuts.


As I was hanging up the laundry I was looking at all the wonderful green around me today. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was watching the hills behind my house looking for that faint green mist that signified spring. The mist that hangs over the grey brown trees as they start to sprout little buds of tender leaves. Now the hills are a brilliant shade of green yellow. The heat of summer hasn't yet dulled the colors and it looks like paradise. As I peeked over into my neighbors yard I saw a beautiful lush corner, surrounded by soft grasses that look like they would feel cool on bare feet. Verdant branches hang like a canopy. It looks almost edible. I found myself coveting my neighbors yard and the corners that they were ignoring. I will have to go hunting for some of my own tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment