Saturday, May 15, 2010

Farmer Market Saturday



The sun was shining on our little family today as we headed off to the farmers market in Kutztown. In an attempt to reduce our food budget I took some cash and our basket and trapsed down the street to the bustling market filled with people. Its almost as much fun to watch the people shopping as it is to shop. We bought fresh eggs (which we eat about a dozen of a week), we bought apple sausage, turkey scrapple, ground beef, tomato plants, eggplants, bananas (at 39 cents a pound!), local apples and the sweetest local strawberries I have ever tasted. My daughter ate so many when we got home. I can not say enough good things about our farmers market here. It is filled with Mennonites who grow and sell their own produce. It is amazing to live somewhere where it is alot like stepping back in time.


I highly recommend buying local if you are trying to cut back your food budget. I know a million blogs recomend it, but its so true. My family spends bout $150.00 a week at a local super market. A good portion of that is produce and meats. I don't know where they come from. I know that very often I see recalls for produce that are making people sick. I took $40 with me to the market and only spent $27. That is our meat and produce for the week. That should cut my grocery bill by about 1/3. We will have to see when Tuesday comes (regular grocery shopping day). Our farmers market is open year round and filled with local butchers whose cows and chickens I see from the car as we drive past their farms. The produce (except for the bananas) come from local farms who are working towards creating a tasty product, not for ease of shipping. The difference in taste alone is unbelievable. That and I don't worry about recalls.

My childen and I were playing around with the camera today right before their nap. Usually at that point I have a baby sandwich. I place my kids around me and I get to blow tummy rasberries without showing one more attention to the other. This picture is the result and I just had to share it. My son is trying to eat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment